The 2016 Surry County Bee School will be held for six Mondays starting on March 7, 2016. NC Apiary Inspector Greg Fariss will be teaching the class.
This year the bee school is being held in conjunction with NC Cooperative Extension and Surry Community College with a Skill Up Grant through NC Tobacco Trust Funds. Everyone attending must register in advance unlike previous years when members could attend for free.
|When:||Mondays, March 7 through April 4
7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Field day at bee yard to be announced
|Where:||Farm Bureau downstairs meeting room
112 White Street, Dobson, NC 27017 [ map ]
|Cost:||$10 per attendee; children 15 and younger
may attend for free with a registered adult. $10 fee is payable at the first class to the “Surry County Beekeepers Association”
Registration is required. Call Surry Community College to register at 336.386.3618.
Topics covered will include
- Introduction to Beekeeping
- The colony, organization, and life cycle of the honeybee
- Equipment needed to get started
- Seasonal hive management of the colonies
- Pests and diseases of the bees
- Harvesting and processing honey and other hive products
- A field day to work with the bees
Refreshments will be provided.
Download the bee school flyer here: 2016 Bee School Flyer